June 2009 /May 2017
SEVERAL city councils award medals to their uniformed officials and others. These medals rank after national and provincial honours, and may not be worn together with official awards unless the president has given approval for this.
These local authorities include (or included) :
- Cape Town, which has medals for bravery, meritorious community service, and long service in the fire brigade and traffic police;
- East London (now part of Buffalo City), which has or had long service medals for the city fire brigade;
- Germiston (now part of Ekurhuleni), which has or had long service medals for its fire brigade;
- Johannesburg, which has or had medals for bravery and for the fire brigade;
- Pretoria (now part of Tshwane), which has or had medals for the mayor and mayoress.
- City of Cape Town; Conferment of Civic Honours Policy.
- Military Medal Society of SA Newsletters Nos 190 (Mar 1995), 208, and 214 (Jun 1998).
- Monick, S.; Awards of the South African Uniformed Public Services (1988).